Monday, January 11, 2010

No Day But Today

Today is my last full day in the U.S., my beloved New York City.  Call me an emotional wreck, but as I type this and think about this, my fingers are quivering and I feel tears welling up in my eyes.  I've been pretty chipper and upbeat about going to London, but the reality has finally set in and I don't like the reality so much.

For one, I still haven't received a textbook yet.  I ordered the book for Social Psychology from some used book site, and they shipped it out 12 days ago.  Twelve.  Days.  And if it doesn't get to my doorstep tomorrow, my family will have to send it to me.  Pain in the arse, if you ask me.

Second, I am still unsure of my banking situation.  I feel like each option I have, I will incur a ridiculous amount of fees that I could better spend in other ways.  Also concerning the mail, I'm waiting on a debit card from HSBC, which, if doesn't arrive tomorrow, will have to be sent to me.  Another pain in the arse.

The most overarching issue, though, is how much I will miss home.  I have never appreciated my family as much as I do now in these few hours before I leave.  It sounds almost morbid, but I wish I had more time to spend with my family.  It pains me to know that they will miss me too (that is, I think they'll miss me).  I can't even pinpoint what I will miss, it is just this general feeling that I won't see the things and people I am used to seeing every day for the next four months!  I was never one who liked change, even good changes.  It takes me a long time to acclimate to any change, and I never find the process pleasant.  This is arguably the biggest change in my life, and this malaise is not nice.

Oh God.  Oh God, oh God, oh God, what am I doing?  What have I done?

No comments:

Post a Comment