Saturday, February 6, 2010

Harrods

Today we went to...HARRODS!  I have been dying to see this, and I am still thrilled by it and can't wait to go back.

The morning started off kind of iffy-ish.  We missed the stop on the route 73 bus, so we went all the way to the terminal at Victoria Station and had to walk around 30 minutes backwards to Knightsbridge.  That's the one thing I don't appreciate about buses: I don't care how cool you think you are with your double decks (or double backs like the one we rode) but bus routes are confusing and they don't announce stops so you really have to know when to get off.  Luckily, the weather was decent (and later, it got super sunny and warm-ish!) so the walk was not dreadful.

When we first got to Harrods, there were people outside protesting because apparently Harrods is one of the only remaining major department stores to sell real fur.  That was a bit heartbreaking; I accepted a pamphlet from a kindly-looking elderly lady protester, just before I pulled open the doors to the store.

Once inside, it looked pretty much like Macy's.  There was the typical department store fare: jewelry, handbags, other stuff that I didn't even care to notice.  We saw the Egyptian Hall that the owner, Dodi Fayed's father, stuck in Harrods just for the hell of it (because he's Egyptian, I suppose...).  Finally, we wandered into the foooooooooooooooooooooooood sections.  Chocolate, dried fruits, fresh vegetables, apples with hearts printed on them, preserves, cheese, salad bar, meats, sushi, dim sum, gelato, pizza, bakery...oh my GOD.  A lady came around with a platter of cheese samples and Comte St. Antoine is officially my favorite cheese.  Ever.  I ended up buying a jar of strawberry jam that was "on sale" (not bad actually, 3 for the price of 2 at £2.95 each, so I split with some other people) and a roll of cheese foccaccia that was a bit greasy but delicious.
I'm hungry just thinking of the damn place.  !!

1 comment:

  1. You make me want to go shopping, damn!

    Glad you had fun; it sounds (and looks) like a really amazing place.

    ReplyDelete