Sunday, February 14, 2010

恭喜發財

Happy Lunar New Year and St. Valentine's Day!

As much as I love being here in London, I can't believe I'm missing Chinese New Year at home (in the sense of not being home), and I can't believe I am missing it too (in the sense that I didn't think I would pine for it, but I do)!  Chinese New Year was never a huge celebration in my house.  At the most, I'd collect red envelopes from relatives awkwardly, try to thank them incessantly, or refuse, or a combination: "Oh, you didn't have to, but thank you so much".  Then, the red envelopes would keep coming, and it'd be a bit annoying collecting odd amounts of money ($2, $5) for the entire week and having to empty all the envelopes and do accounting....  Then, we'd have a biggish dinner at home and that would be the end of it.  I haven't gone to a parade in Chinatown for years, namely because the lion dances kind of creep me out (namely, those guys in masks who taunt the lions).  We never really made house calls to any other families; people always came to visit us.

But today, I really miss home!  I really miss my family!  What pains me the most is talking to them on Skype and hearing that they miss me.  I talk to them on Skype often, and I've seen everyone in my household, which is really nice!  So, I kind of have no reason to miss them this much, but when they say they worry about me and my wellbeing, I honestly do get all misty-eyed.  Ahh, home.  Well, they'll get enough of me in 3 more months...

We Londoners have tried to recreate the feeling of home for Chinese New Year and whatnot, so we're having a "St. Valentine's Day/Lunar New Year potluck secret Valentine thing" tonight.  I am excited!!  And then...hell week arrives: Organic Chemistry exam on Tuesday, and Social Psychology paper on Thursday (which I haven't started, and have no intention of starting until Tuesday evening...!@#$)

Cheers, all, and enjoy ♥

2 comments:

  1. What's funny is I think I celebrated CNY more 'seriously' in S'pore than I did at home... we went to Chinatown (yep, there's one here too!) and it was INSANELY crowded. I have a gorgeous photo of a temple lined with colored lanterns that I must show you some time though!
    HAPPY YEAR OF THE TIGER!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't worry about your wellbeing! :)

    Just kidding. But seriously, we see each other on skype more than we used to at home! And if you're missing me, it's only because you no longer feel that residual day-after-late-night hatred. Trust me, I felt it too.

    ReplyDelete