Wednesday, December 30, 2009

On British Accents

Today, my sister and I spent quite some time mindlessly talking to each other in really bad, affected, posh British accents.  I'm sure if we were in the presence of a Limey, we would be very embarrassed.

Recently, I have watched a bunch of British films in the attempt to familiarize with the accents, slang, and mannerisms.  In my repertoire over the past week: Sense & Sensibility, Pride & Prejudice, The Queen, Bridget Jones' Diary, About a Boy, Notting Hill, A Bit of Fry and Laurie....  I think I should also re-watch the entire Harry Potter series, just for kicks.  But then, my sister reckons (haha, "reckons") that I will be spewing words like "Expecto Patronum".

Since I realized I was going to London, something else has changed in me that somewhat involves accents.  I've summoned up the courage to speak to strangers that I run into who speak with English accents.  For example, a few months ago, I met a father and daughter pair on the F train who were speaking with English accents.  I didn't want to bother them, but after a few stops, I turned to the dad next to me and said, "Sorry, but may I ask where are you from?"  He told me they were from Manchester, and I told them a bit that I was headed to London next year.  Then, last week, I was window-shopping at Bloomingdale's on 59th Street with my friends and we paid a visit to the Clinique counter when a Clinique beauty lady asked if I needed help.  Honestly, I was just nosing about, but she had a British accent, so I asked her where she was from.  A Londoner, she turned out to be!  I told her that next month, I'd be studying there.  Sure, it was a bit awkward, but very it is interesting to meet such new people, and certainly not something that happens every day.

These experiences have surprised me.  Namely, I never thought of myself as one who would strike up conversation with strangers.  Like most New Yorkers, I usually mind my own business.  I even get annoyed when this particular woman gets on at 55th Street and constantly and incessantly talks to her neighbors until Pacific Street.  Either way, I think this is a good thing for me: extroversion, friendliness, conversation, meeting new people!  Incidentally, I cannot wait to meet scores of Englishmen and Englishwomen - and even people of vastly more countries - once I go to London!

Two beloved history teachers from high school wrote in my yearbook:

"Enjoy the great journey you are about to embark on.  Keep that wonderful curiosity...it will serve you well."  -- pbb

"Love college - break out of the mold."  -- dpg

Well, here's my chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment